Sunday, February 10, 2008

Getting My Swell On.....whuuuut.


So this is indeed where I went today. See that pointy white building on top of the mountain? Thats the Kitt's Peak Observitory. It sits atop kits peak, which is roughly 45 miles south west of tucson. To get there, you ride on one road, the entire way, gradually gaining elevation the entire time. It's greuling.
This morning myself, Adam St. Germain, Aiden Charles, and Bob set out for kitts peak. The ride out was hard, but not so bad because we had four people. We rode a double paceline of sorts, taking 10 to 20 minute pulls at a tempo style effort, and slowly but surely made our way to the base of Kitts. After 45 miles of straight uphill road, the left turn that signified the entrance to the park, and the beginning og the actual climb. The climb uf the mountain was awesome. 12 miles or so long, but steep, maybe 7% with big switchbacks and spectacular views. Aiden and I went pretty hard up the climb, harder than was comfortable in fact, but oh well, you only live once, and It was a great effort as fas as training goes. The ride down was fast, and very safe. Ate some snacks on the descent and then prepared for the long ride back to town with a re-fueling stop at the only store we passed the entire way.
When it was all said and done it was another huge day. Close to 4,000 kj's, 120 or so miles, and just under 7 housr. Not a bad bit of riding. Tomorrow is a recovery day, and then one more serious block before I head back east. I'll let you know how the coffee shop is. We also decided that since we've been on the bike so much during the day, we've neglected to eat actual lunches. So tomorrow, perhaps actual lunch is in order.

1 comment:

doublenickel said...

Yeah...sure I grunt when I'm gettin' my swell on at the gym.

That's so they'll notice how jacked and tan I am.

Yaga-bomb!